What is Jujube Fruit?
Jujube fruit is a crop that belongs to the Rhamnaceae family. Jujube has been used as a traditional healthful meal for a long time. As a result, jujube processing to product is one of the best solutions for long-term storage.
The purpose of this review is to illustrate the nutritional value of jujube fruit as well as its potential for use in the creation of commercial food items. It also discusses the health advantages of jujube-based foods. Jujube fruit is tasty and nutritious with a variety of health benefits.
It is widely cultivated in tropical and subtropical locations, particularly in East Asia (China and India), North Africa, and the Middle East. There are over 40 subspecies that are regularly found throughout the world. In China, there are approximately 400 varieties. Other parts of the world, such as Russia, southern Asia, southern Europe, the southwestern United States, and Australia, are now seeing greater jujube cultivation.
It is eaten as a traditional and functional cuisine throughout the world. It can be enjoyed as freshly squeezed jujube pulp or used to make drinks, sauces, jellies, pickling, liquor (brodo di giuggiole in Italy and baijiu in China), and compotes. In the food industry, such as dried goods, the dried pulp can also be employed as an active component (Chinese dates, the ingredient of tea, slices snack, bread, cakes, etc.).
Furthermore, it can be added to other foods/products to boost their nutritional availability and quality (e.g., goat milk yogurt, red jujube yogurt, etc.) It is also known as ber fruit.
Jujube Fruit Nutrition Facts
Furthermore, it is a sugar-rich fruit (including sucrose, fructose, and glucose) as well as a rich source of fragrance compounds such as alcohols, acids, aldehydes, esters, and others. Low-fat and low-sugar foods have gained a large variety of consumers as a result of rising health concerns. As a result, replacing commercial food sweeteners (such as sorbitol, maltitol, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose) in food applications or products is critical to meeting consumer demand and addressing health concerns. Sugar-rich fruits, such as jujube, dates, and figs, it is a good replacement source of commercial sugar.
NUTRITION SUMMARY [100gm]
14 Benefits of Jujube Fruit
1. Acts as Sleeping Supplements:- Having the essence of the seeds of the jujube fruit can help persons who are suffering from insomnia or restlessness. The relaxing quality of the chemical components found in this nutritious fruit can help to relax the body and mind, so if you’re having trouble sleeping, a tiny jujube decoction can be just what you need.
The whole fruit, including the seeds, is rich in antioxidant phytonutrients, polysaccharides, flavonoids, and saponins, all of which have sedative properties. By soothing your nerves, this fruit aids in the induction of sleep. It relieves anxiety and works as a natural sleep aid by calming both the mind and body.
2. Regulates Blood Circulation:- It is high in iron and phosphorus, both of which are essential components of red blood cells. Muscle weakness, weariness, dyspepsia, lightheadedness, and cognitive disorientation are all symptoms of low iron levels in the blood, often known as anemia. You may improve blood circulation and oxygenate your organ systems more effectively by boosting your iron and phosphorus consumption with jujube fruit.
3. Strengthening the Bones:- We can keep our bones tough and strong by enhancing minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and iron (all of which are abundant in jujubes). Osteoporosis and other bone-degrading disorders are more common as we get older, thus including jujube fruit in your diet can help delay or reverse this tendency. Jujube fruit extracts and seeds oil are beneficial to the elderly and individuals with fragile bones because they relieve joint discomfort. Calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, which are all bone-fortifying minerals, help to strengthen connective tissue and improve bone health and flexibility.
4. Encourages Digestive process:- It is a good source of energy that aids in stimulating metabolism and keeps you active throughout the day because they are high in dietary fiber and carbohydrates. While jujube’s high fiber content softens and adds bulk to stool, it helps to regularize bowel movements and relieve constipation. Furthermore, jujube fruit juice may help to strengthen the lining of the GI tract, reducing the chance of ulcers, damage, and any harmful bacteria that may reside in the stomach, as well as providing relief from all other stomach disorders.
This is due primarily to its fiber content, although saponins and triterpenoids also contribute by improving nutrient intake and facilitating healthy food transit through the intestines. Constipation, cramps, bloating, and extreme flatulence, as well as serious gastrointestinal issues, can all be avoided with this.
5. Promotes Blood Detoxification:- It has a high content of saponins and alkaloids which have been related to blood purification and the elimination of harmful poisons from the body’s systems. This antioxidant impact can aid in the prevention of a variety of ailments as well as reduce the tension on the immunological and lymphatic systems. The antioxidant chemicals saponins and alkaloids found in jujube fruit may aid in blood detoxification. Jujube fruit extracts, which are high in nutrients, aid in the removal of harmful toxins from the body, reduce inflammation and reduce the risk of a variety of blood-related illnesses.
6. Immunity Booster:- Jujube fruit can help the immune system in a variety of ways, thanks to its high antioxidant content, which includes vitamins C and A as well as a variety of chemical compounds and acids. These antioxidants can neutralize free radicals, which are responsible for a variety of chronic diseases and disorders.
7. Minimize Anxiety and Depression:- The body has been shown to have anxiolytic and calming effects from jujube fruit. Snacking on dried jujubes or taking a jujube supplement can help those who suffer from chronic stress or anxiety relax their minds and protect their bodies from the negative effects of prolonged exposure to stress hormones. It was highly valued in traditional medicine as a natural cure for stress, anxiety, and psychiatric symptoms. Furthermore, jujube fruit’s calming effects are believed to regulate cortisol levels and keep both mind and body relaxed.
8. Anti-cancer Potential:- Jujube fruit, which is rich in phenolic compounds that induce antioxidant activity, effectively eliminates damaging free radicals, reduces oxidative stress, and reduces the risk of cancer. Evidence also suggests that jujube extract has potent anti-cancer capabilities, inhibiting the spread of malignant cells, notably leukemia, and preventing the development of tumor cells. Aside from that, it has powerful antioxidant capabilities that are beneficial in reducing the danger of numerous forms of cancer cells, including ovarian, cervical, breast, liver, colon, and skin cancer.
9. Enhances Heart Health:- Jujube fruit is one of the greatest fruits for heart health and cardiac function since they are high in heart-friendly elements. It relaxes the blood vessels and helps manage blood pressure because it contains a lot of potassium and is low in sodium. This fruit also acts as a powerful anti-atherogenic agent, preventing fat from clogging arteries. Ber fruit is also high in dietary fiber, which helps to maintain a healthy lipid profile and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
10. Aids in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease:- Jujube fruit has been shown in studies to help treat Alzheimer’s disease by preventing cell degradation and increasing brain cognitive function. Jujube fruit can be an excellent addition to dementia or neurodegenerative condition sufferers’ diet to assist them enhances memory strength.
11. Anti-diabetic activity:- The antidiabetic effect of jujube fruit extracts was demonstrated by a reduction in high serum glucose levels and other diabetes-related indicators. The Ziziphus oenoplia (L) extracts, both aqueous and alcoholic, demonstrated a potential inhibitory effect on -amylase and -glucosidase activity.
12. Encourages hair growth:- Jujube essential oil contains a high concentration of proteins, minerals, and vitamins, all of which are known to promote hair growth. To stimulate faster hair development and prevent hair loss, mix jujube seeds oil with a carrier oil like coconut and apply it regularly.
13. Good for the health of the skin:- Jujube fruit, which is high in vitamin C and antioxidants, fight free radicals and keep good skin cells from oxidizing, reversing the symptoms of aging. Ber fruits, which are high in skin-boosting nutrients, can help you treat acne, blemishes, and scars while also making your skin seem vibrant and flawless. It also helps to improve skin complexion and natural radiance by slowing down premature skin aging, fading wrinkles, and pigmentation. Jujube fruit has also been shown to help with skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, as well as preventing the spread of malignancy (skin cancer).
14. Aids in the healing of wounds:- Because it is high in immune-stimulating poly-phenols, jujube fruit can help fight infections and germs. The flavonoid components in jujube have been shown to have potent antibacterial activity, making them useful in the treatment of illnesses in children. Furthermore, the presence of betulinic acid in jujube fruit prevents the growth of bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus and E. coli, which cause a variety of ailments.
Read Related Article:
2. Dragon Fruit
Dosage of Jujube Fruit
The correct jujube dosage is determined by an individual’s age, weight, and health, as well as the illnesses being treated. Jujube fruit can be used on its alone or mixed supplements with other natural medications. In general, users should start with the lowest indicated dose and progressively increase as needed.
Interactions with medications
1. Medicines for diabetes:- Blood sugar levels can be lowered by jujube. When used in conjunction with diabetic drugs that lower blood sugar, jujube fruit can cause blood sugar to drop dangerously low. Glimepiride, glyburide, insulin, metformin, pioglitazone, rosiglitazone, chloropropamide, glipizide, tolbutamide, and other diabetes medications are available.
2. Medications that harm the liver:- Some drugs are broken down and altered by the liver, therefore jujube fruit may interfere with their effectiveness. Before using jujube fruit, consult your doctor if you are taking any drugs that are related in any way to the liver.
How to Eat Jujube Fruits “Detailed Recipes”
1. Jujube Candies
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp Gelatin
- 1/2 cup water for soaking
- Food color / Emulsion of your choice
- Fruit flavor essence
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Sugar for coating jujube’s
1. Gelatin should be soaked in 1/2 cup of water.
2. 1/2 cup water and 2 cups sugar in a saucepan.
3. Boil until the sugar is completely dissolved.
4. Add the soaked gelatin to the boiling syrup and cook for a total of 15 minutes.
5. Don’t forget to stir now and again.
6. Allow a few minutes for it to cool.
7. Add lemon juice to it.
8. Take a small glass or plastic bowl and fill it with water.
9. Mix thoroughly after adding your desired color and flavor.
10. Place the mixture on a flat-bottomed tray or bowl and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
11. With the help of a wet knife, cut it into your desired form once it has been thoroughly set.
12. Place the sugar on a platter and equally coat the jujubes.
13. Now the jujubes candies are ready.
2. Jujubes Pickle
- 1 tbsp panch phoron 1 kilogram Ber 400 g jaggery
- 2 tbsp powdered panch phoron
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida/hing
- a half teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 tablespoon powdered red chili
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tbsp cumin powder (roasted)
- Panch phoron – as needed
- mustard seeds, 2 tsp
- cumin seeds, 2 tbsp
- fenugreek seeds, 2 tbsp
- 2 tablespoons kalonji
- fennel seeds, 2 tbsp
1. Ber should be washed and dried with a cotton cloth. Place them in a colander or a large steel plate and dry for 3 days in the sun.
2. When they’re ready for the pickle, press each ber to crack after 3 days.
3. To prepare panch phoron, combine all of the spices listed in the panch phoron section. Toss in 2 tablespoons panch phoron powder with the pickle and leave the rest alone.
4. In a pan, heat the oil and add the full panch phoron, sauteing it for 30 seconds. Now add the hing and ber and mix well. Mix in the turmeric, chili powder, and salt until everything is well combined. Mix in the jaggery.
5. On low flame, cook for 6 to 8 minutes before adding the roasted cumin powder and panch phoron powder. Mix it everything together and cook it for another 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool completely before using.
6. It should be kept in sterilized jars. To extend the shelf life of this pickle, keep it in the sun for 15 days and then once a week after that.
3. Jujube Salad
- 2 cup jujubes, cleaned
- 1 teaspoon sugar (jaggery)
- 2 green chilies, chopped 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp coriander leaves, fresh
- 1 tsp oil [mustard/olive] (optional)
1. With the use of a spoon or your thumb, lightly smash the ripe jujube.
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir thoroughly.
3. Serve them and enjoy.
4. You can eat jujubes directly, just make sure it is clean, wash them properly.
5. You can make juice out of it.
6. You can also consume it by boiling in water with a pinch of salt.
Side Effects of Jujube Fruit
If a person is suffering from one of the following conditions, it is recommended that they seek medical advice before eating jujube fruit:
- Intestinal parasites.
- Excessive phlegm.
- Tooth disease.
- An individual suffering from low blood pressure as it is hypotensive
Jujube Fruit in Pregnancy
Folic acid is abundant in jujube fruit, which aids in the production of blood cells and stimulates fetal growth. It also contains zinc, which aids in the development of the fetal brain and improves cognitive performance. The pregnant woman might reap plenty of health advantages from jujube berry intake. Some of these are also helpful to the infant, so eating them has a double benefit:-
1. Hair growth is enhanced, and the quality becomes smoother and thicker.
2. Consuming jujube berries efficiently combats any dry skin or eczema.
3. Regular use has demonstrated conclusive evidence of its ability to combat viruses and other illnesses during pregnancy.
4. It also aids in the protection of the brain cells of the fetus from injury and the implementation of different cognitive processes.
5. If you’re sensitive to latex, you’re allergic to zizyphus as well (meaning jujube). As a result, latex-sensitive people should avoid eating this fruit.
Jujube fruit is a nutritional supplement that contains a lot of bioactive substances such as dietary fibers, minerals, and natural antioxidants. Fresh jujube fruit, on the other hand, has a short shelf life. As a result, the best approach to keep fresh jujube for a long time is to convert it to processed items. The greatest jujube product is jujube powder, which is followed by jujube vinegar and fermented jujube juice. Jujube fruit products may have good antioxidant, anti-obesity, and anticancer properties, according to available research. As a result, these products qualify as functional foods. Above all, jujube-based products have the potential to be a beneficial food for human health.
1. What is jujube fruit called in English?
It is known as Ziziphus jujube. The jujube fruit, commonly known as the red or Chinese date, is a fruit native to Southern Asia that has gained worldwide popularity. On huge flowering bushes or trees, these little round fruits with a seed-containing pit grow.
2. Is jujube safe for diabetics to consume?
Jujube fruit is excellent for diabetics due to its high dietary fiber content.
3. Is it possible to consume jujube fruit late at night?
Yes, one can consume it at night but in minimal / recommended quantity[not more than 4-6 fruit at a time]. One of the jujube fruit’s most powerful properties is its capacity to calm the mind, quiet brain activity, and aid in the induction and maintenance of sleep.
4. Is jujube good for constipation?
For hundreds of years, it has been used to treat digestive issues like bloating, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea. Jujube fruit has been shown in studies to lower gastric acid and to help prevent and heal stomach ulcers. Jujube fruit is also particularly beneficial in treating persistent constipation, according to research.
5. Does jujube fruit cause diarrhea?
The mature fruit is sweet, tangy, and flavorful; it is not excellent for digestion and can cause diarrhea if consumed in big quantities.
6. Is jujube good for the kidney?
Jujube fruit extract (500 mg/kg) consumption enhanced kidney function by lowering creatinine and urea levels, and this medication could avoid kidney histopathological damage.