Artocarpus heterophyllus is the scientific name for jackfruit. It is widely grown in tropical Asia, Africa, and South America. The stringy meat behind the thick, rough peel can be consumed fresh or prepared in a multitude of ways. Are you aware that jackfruit seeds are loaded with nutritional benefits?
The seeds can be grilled, boiled, or crushed into flour. The seed flour can be used in the food industry as a binding ingredient in some culinary preparations.
Jackfruit seeds are high in nutrients including riboflavin and thiamine, which facilitate the conversion of food into energy. These nutrients support the health of your eyes, skin, and hair.
|Constituents||Values Per 100gm|
|Dietary fiber||1.5 grams|
|Vitamin A||10-17 IU|
|Vitamin C||11 mg|
Jackfruit Seeds Have Numerous Health Benefits
1. Heart friendly: Because jackfruit seeds, which are high in fiber, should be included in the diets of the aged, heart patients, and those with hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol levels), a suitable amount should have been included in normal meals.
- Increases HDL levels in the blood.
- Lowers LDL and VLDL levels in the blood.
- Reduces the cholesterol level in the blood.
- Triglyceride profile in the blood is reduced.2.
2. Enriched with Anti-microbial effect: It has nanoparticles of minuscule, lectin and jacalin which possess antimicrobial, antifungal properties which help in treating food borne illness and other seasonal infections.
3. Possesses Cancer-fighting effects: Numerous investigations have found that jackfruit seeds have a variety of therapeutic activities. Their high levels of antioxidants and bioactive chemicals are considered to be the reason for this.
4. Aids in the treatment of mental discomfort and skin conditions: Because jackfruit seeds are abundant in proteins and other micronutrients, they can assist with mental stress and a variety of skin conditions. Consume jackfruit seeds to keep your skin moisturized and to maintain the health of your hair.
5. Prevents Anemia – Eating jackfruit seeds can help you get more iron in your diet. Iron, which is a component of hemoglobin, is abundant in jackfruit seeds. An iron-rich-diet can reduce the risk rate of anemia and other blood ailments.
6. Uphold digestion: The antispasmodic properties of jackfruit seed powder assist to relieve flatulence, diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, and irritable bowel syndrome by decreasing the production of toxic gases in the stomach. Because the seed is full of fiber, it stimulates digestion and facilitates nutrient absorption when consumed in powdered form.
7. Boost Vision and avoid cataracts and macular degeneration: These seeds are high in vitamin A, which helps to improve eyesight health and treat cataracts and vision problems.
8. Healthy foods for diabetics: Jackfruit seeds include resistant starch, which helps to keep blood sugar levels in check. It contains anti-diabetic characteristics, which means it can help diabetic people lower their blood glucose levels.
9. Nimble Snacking option: It’s a low-calorie, low-fat, high-protein meal with a significant quantity of carbs and dietary fiber, making it a healthy snacking for those who are severely obese.
10. Acts as Prebiotics: It comprises “Lecithin,” an antibiotic and antifungal component. It also contains prebiotics (such as oligosaccharide and non-reducing sugar), which contribute to the development and activity of healthy bacteria in our intestines .
Besides this; these seeds include resistant starch, which helps to maintain the stomach healthy. So, ingesting these seeds on a daily basis can assist:-
- To ensure a good digestion process and to protect against a variety of medical conditions.
- Aids in the prevention of foodborne illnesses.
- Infections caused by E. coli are prevented.
- Maintains the microbial equilibrium in the intestine.
- Boost immunity
Delicious Recipes You Can Prepare Using Jackfruit Seeds
1. Jackfruit Seeds Chips
2. Jackfruit Seeds Cutlets
3. Jackfruit Seed Vada
4. Boiled Jackfruit Seeds
5. Crispy jackfruit seed
1. Jackfruit Seed Shake
2. Jackfruit seed smoothie
3. Jackfruit seed pudding
Recipes for Vegetarians as top of the Regular Menu:
1. kathal-bichi Bengali style sobji
2. Jackfruit seed cooked with arhar dal
3. Jackfruit seeds prepared with other green vegetables
4. Mushroom with Jackfruit Seed
5. Soybean with Jackfruit Seed
6. Jackfruit Seeds chutney
7. Jackfruit Seeds Hummus
8. Seasonal fresh Jackfruit Seeds Roast
Some Delicious Options for Non-vegetarians:
Jackfruit seeds can be a good and tempting option if cooked with chicken breast, egg yolk, and fish eggs, or with fish fillets.
The following are Several More Ways to Serve Jackfruit Seeds:
1. Boiled or fried jackfruit seeds can be added with another vegetable during cooking.
2. It can be dried and then grind into flour which will act as an enrichment when added with regular wheat flour.
3. It can be used for preparing smoothies, shakes & other health drinks.
4. Jackfruit seed is considered to be an excellent snacking option.
Is it Poisonous to Consume Jackfruit Seeds?
Consumption of jackfruit seeds should be avoided by anyone who is taking medicines that enhance the risk of bleeding. The capacity of jackfruit seed extract to delay blood clotting and even prevent clot formation in humans was demonstrated in one research.
Tannins and trypsin inhibitors are prominent anti-nutrients found in raw jackfruit seeds. These can render nutrition absorption and digestion challenges. Overall direct consumption of seeds is not poisonous until and unless it has been consumed with some drugs.
The Adverse Effect of Jackfruit Seeds on Health [Side-Effects]
Although jackfruit seeds can be hazardous to certain individuals, they often provide a multitude of essential health benefits. Aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, platelet-lowering pharmaceuticals, blood dilution treatments, and other anti-depressants interact poorly with jackfruit seeds.
When both are absorbed at the same time, the body’s blood pressure may rise. Raw jackfruit seeds also include certain substances that are potentially toxic to the body, such as tannins, trypsin, and so forth.
These substances inhibit your body from absorbing certain nutrients, resulting in dyspepsia. (Irritation, ache in the lower abdomen while ingesting edible items and fluids.)
When jackfruit seeds are steamed or roasted, they lose their nutritional value and contribute to ill health. It is unknown whether jackfruit is safe to use as a medication. Some individuals may experience adverse responses to the jackfruit fruit.
- Allergy to birch pollen or latex:Some persons with birch pollen or latex allergies may also be sensitive to jackfruit.
- Surgery: When coupled with medicines used during and after surgery, jackfruit may induce excessive sleepiness. Give up eating jackfruit at least 2 weeks before an operation.
Jackfruit Seeds for Pregnancy
Consumption of jackfruit seeds is quite confusing during pregnancy. So here you get the answer. Yes, a pregnant woman can consume jackfruit & its seeds. Overeating can induce stomach pain as well as loose stools. The jackfruit seed is not harmful to a pregnant woman. Don’t be concerned.
Vitamin B6 and other minerals, such as potassium, are abundant in jackfruit. During pregnancy, you are more susceptible to diseases such as the common cold and virus infections. These diseases can be prevented or treated by eating jackfruit seeds.
Iron deficiency, often known as anemia, is common during pregnancy. It can be highly harmful to both the mother and the child’s general health. This is a period when you require extra blood to accommodate the developing baby inside you.
Risks and Precautions of Consuming Jackfruit during Pregnancy
There’s no one denying that jackfruit seeds are good for you while you’re pregnant. However, jackfruit, like every other meal, has a negative side. There are certain hazards to eating jackfruit that you should be aware of. When you’re pregnant, remember that it’s always best to be cautious than sorry.
1. Excessive eating might cause blood sugar levels to rise- Jackfruit is a highly sweet fruit that contains enough sugar to be dangerous. A high intake of jackfruit might cause blood sugar levels to rise. It may also increase the risk of developing gestational diabetes.
2. Jackfruit seeds can induce diarrhea in pregnant women -As previously stated, jackfruit is high in dietary fiber. This is good in moderation since it promotes smoother bowel motions and avoids constipation. It can, however, cause other digestive issues, such as diarrhea, if consumed in large amounts. As a result, jackfruit functions as a natural laxative.
3. The risk of blood clotting -The coagulation, or clotting, of blood, is frequently aided by jackfruit seeds. This can be beneficial in some situations, but it can also be dangerous. Those with pre-existing blood problems may be adversely affected. If you have a blood problem, you should avoid eating jackfruits.
Jackfruit seeds are related to some medical advantages. When used with certain medicines, these seeds might cause draining. It tends to be ready in various manners utilizing distinctive cooking procedures. Regardless, make sure they’re cooked before you consume them.
The jackfruit seeds are extremely sturdy fruit. It provides a moderate amount of calories while also providing a significant amount of fiber, nutrients, minerals, and cell nourishment. Jackfruit has a low glycemic profile (low sugar content) and provides some fiber, protein, and cell nutrient, all of which could improve better glucose regulation.
Joining any food into your eating routine when you are pregnant can be an issue. It can be accompanied by so many queries and faltering. It is quite often protected, and surprisingly helpful, to have jackfruit during pregnancy.
Read More: List of Superfoods